Niwot High School is a popular local high school choice for Lake Valley students.
The school is not the official feeder high school and admission is through open enrollment and transportation is not provided by the school district.
To help you get a feel for Niwot High School, here’s a profile (as it appears on the St. Vrain Valley School District website.
Mission and philosophy:
Niwot High School is accountable for providing:
- A safe and positive learning environment
- A challenging academic program that promotes both inquiry and reflection
- Activities that promote discovery and respect of diverse interests and abilities
- Opportunities for critical thinking, collaboration, and open communication within the school community
- A global perspective of our world and its cultures
- An atmosphere of respect, trust and integrity
- Opportunities for students to demonstrate responsibility
- Rated as a top high school 2011-2014 according to U.S. News & World Report and Newsweek
- Professional highly trained and dedicated staff
- Relationships between teachers, family and community for student success
- Internationally recognized IB Diploma Programme
- Diverse academic, personal, social and career support for all students
- Exceptional co-curricular opportunities
Niwot High School is located 35 miles northwest of Denver in Longmont, Colorado, just east of Boulder. It is one of six high schools within the St. Vrain Valley School District and offers an outstanding Advanced Placement program as well as providing the only International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme in the district. The community surrounding Niwot High School consists of families of diverse backgrounds who work in a variety of occupations in high-technology, higher education, agricultural and service industries.
1,290 students in grades 9-12
State of Colorado and Colorado Department of Education Certificate of Accreditation
Every-other-day block schedule; 90-minute periods; traditional semester system
.5 credits per semester in full-credit courses
Traditional, A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0
Weighted classes include Advanced Placement and select IB classes, A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, F=0
Partially weighted Niwot Pre-IB and Honors classes, A=4.5, B=3.5, C=2.5, D=1.5, F=0
83% attend 4 year colleges & universities; 9% attend 2 year colleges